[DML] Re: Before purchase questions

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "johntaylorny" <johntaylorny@...> wrote:

> Hello I have been test driving Ds and will probably purchase one in
> the next few weeks. I have some questions I'd appreciate helped out
> with.
>
> 1. Is there a check list of sorts that exists that a potential buyer
> can use to check out the car before purchase?

Read these:
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/inspection.htm

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/prepurchase.htm

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/newbiefile.htm

and download the buyer checklist .pdf file off of this page:
http://www.delorean.com/downloads.asp#checklist

Also read this:
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/restoration.htm
Buy the best example of a DeLorean you can afford. Cheap fixer uppers
will cost you more money than one that was well maintained or
completely restored. Just trust me on that.

> 2. Will mechanics at local garages be able to do a once over of the
> car if they are not familiar with Ds?

Perhaps to a limited point, but as mentioned you are better of finding
someone from the nearest club to look the car over. If you are near a
full service DeLorean vendor, take it to them. That would be the best bet.

> 3. One of the Ds I'm looking at was painted...but the paint was
> professionally removed and now its stainless. Body/frame are ok.
> Should this cause a concern?

There were two primary reasons Ds were painted. One - some dealers had
trouble moving inventory back in the day, so they had some new cars
painted to offer variety and help move stock. Two - A private owner
was in a wreck of some kind and the traditional body shop he took the
car to had no idea what to do with the SS body panels, so the used
body filler like Bondo to repair the damage, as if it was a
traditional vehicle, and they had to paint the car to cover up the work.

Stripping the paint professionally can be VERY costly, and you never
know what you might find once the paint is removed. If it's a repaired
Bondo'd panel, you will have to either replace the panel or repaint it
to cover it back up. That's on top of what you had to pay to strip it.
See the wasted $$ adding up? Plus, if it's a left front fender, you
are going to pay through the nose to replace that scarce panel IF you
can even find one. If you do, you are at the mercy of the seller.
Cha-Ching!! Also, often the doors were completely painted, so they
will have to be removed and disassembled to strip the paint off the
areas that only show when the doors are open.

My advice - Only buy a painted DeLorean if you want a painted
DeLorean. If you don't, there's no reason not to buy one of the many
great examples of the car that are unpainted.

> 4. My insurance co says if I want the car insured for full purchase
> price, I need an appraisal done. Where can I get an auto appraisal?

Ask your insurance company who they recommend for appraisals, or if
you find one on your own, make damn sure that you find out if your
insurance company will even recognize an appraisal from that appraiser.

Standard car insurance on a vehicle like this will be expensive and in
the event of a loss there could be a lot of debate, and ultimately you
will loose. Collector insurance is the best route to go, but you will
have to meet certain criteria to be eligible, and there could be
restrictions on use and mileage. Also, you want an agreed value
insurance policy, not a stated or actual cash value. Read:
http://www.classic-british-cars.com/classic-car-insurance.html

Still want a DeLorean? If so, take your time. The better choice you
make now will save you $$ and aggravation later.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D

<*> Your email settings: