Re: [DML] crash tests / safety

Dear List,    I have owned my Delorean for 24 years,  when I first bought the
car I let the  dealer hold it for three weeks,  while I looked for an
Insurance company.
    I called and visited every sports car and exotic  car collector car
...etc and had quotes from $1200.00 to $2600.00 per year.
    My wife and I were on our way back to the dealers  to announce we could
not afford the insurance on such a car, and ask for our  money back.
    We were detoured as the road was blocked for some  unknown reason and we
found ourselves passing our own insurance agents  office.
    My wife said, we have tried every other agent, why  not ask our own. so I
stopped in.
Believe it or not The man said $300.00 for a year. I said put that in
writing. after the policy was all signed and  delivered.     I inquired as to how he
could write a policy  so cheap on a sports car that could run with the
$100,00.00 sports  cars.
    Since I was insuring the car with him, He was  surprised I didn't already
know that our Insurance company had invested in the  Delorean to build the
safest car on the road, then he added and that's exactly  what he did.

    Personally, I have been hit twice, once a  person ran a stop sign and the
impact to the right front fender was so  great it spun my car 370 degrees and
sent me into the oncoming traffic lane, as  I sat there looking at the front
of the car that hit me I was sickened as I saw  the damage it did to the other
car, finally I stopped cursing long enough to get  out and look at my car,
There was a 2" dent in the fender. ($250.00 replaced the  Fender with a new one)
 Other car was totaled.
    The second time we were stopped behind an 18  wheeler on the interstate,
when I noticed in the rear view mirror a car bearing  down on us, I pushed
hard on the brakes in an attempt to prevent being driven  under the transfer
truck. I didn't have time to warn my wife as I pressed  her head hard into the
headrest. I saw the hood of the car as it bent double, as  far as I know our car
never moved, the engine of the car which hit us was jammed  into the firewall
so hard it took the fireman almost an hour to get him  out.
    (we had to replace the triangle brace that holds  the muffler) needless
to say the other car was totaled.
I haven't scratched the surface with what I personally seen this car  do and
I know other cars can not do and survive.
    I am baffled with the questions about  safety.
    You either want the car or you do not want the car,  that is the question.

Elmer
Vin # 11469

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional