From: "Chris Hawes" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [DML] Like new car braking
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 06:57:54 -0000

The most recent DeLorean I have driven other than mine was Dan Shane's (now
sold) and this showed how when set up correctly you can have a brake pedal
that is as responsive as a modern car.

My car brakes very well but I have around an inch of travel before anything
happens. After that the communication from the brakes to your foot is spot
on from a responsiveness point of view.

This is my current setup:-
- I have Ed Uding's vented disc's and Kevlar pads on the front (the rears
are stock)
- DMC Ltd re-manufactured front Callipers (silver finish opposed to the now
defunct Cadmium finish still showing on the website) cured the brake judder
that had gradually appeared over recent months.
- DMC Ltd Stainless brake hoses. Stainless versions are supposed to cure the
swelling as per the OEM's although I have never experienced any swelling
from the OEM's they were 25 years old and would affect my braking
performance at some point so I felt it would be worth while to update whilst
the system was re-bled from the previous weeks fitting of new callipers. So
far I can feel no difference, but sometimes until you replace something you
cannot tell if the old part was still spot on or not.

The Brake Master Cylinder and servo have not been changed in my near 5 years
of ownership (could be original). I am guessing that the rod from the Brake
Master cylinder to the brake pedal could do with adjustment. Otherwise apart
from changing the two afore mentioned parts I am fresh out of ideas (and
cash).
The system is completely air-free and the BMC is not leaking. I have good
continuous travel to the carpet and when sat at rest the brake pedal is
flush with the clutch pedal.
To recap, although braking is spot on I am looking for instantaneous braking
when I first depress the pedal not after it has travelled an inch... I guess
this can be described as spongy. As these cars have no ABS, that extra 1"
delay time could cost me when it matters most...

Regards,

Chris Hawes

Vin 5255

<*> Your email settings: