[DML] Re: To Cut or Not to Cut..Front Dash for Radio

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marv Williams <marv2020@...> wrote:
> I'm going to cut...
[snip]
> my plan is to cut the old wiring harness from the Craig radio,
> and rewire the old harness to my new radio speaker/power wires.

It's been covered here before, but you have to remember that allmost all
new radio's have what is called "floating grounds" on the speeakers, while
the old Craig (and thus the car) have common grounds for left and right...

I know there's a couple of people who've just ignored this and wired
everything up "common ground" anyway and whil they might have
gotten away with that so far, this IS NOT good for the amps in your radio.

When I did my car I cut the dash out of the car as I had it out anyway
and I made a new harness for the radio, the only original wires
I used were front speakers, switched power, the signal wire for
the power anntenna and the lead for the antenna itself.

If you don't want to cut your wires my advice would be to use the existing wiring
only for the rear speakkers and lay a couple of new pairs to the front speakers.
That way the common ground problem is out of the way.

Good Luck,

JAN van de Wouw
The Netherlands

Lived the Dream, Drove a DeLorean