[DML] Re: To Cut or Not to Cut..Front Dash for Radio

[DML] Re: To Cut or Not to Cut..Front Dash for Radio

I wrestled with this same question a month ago.  On one hand I didn't
want to cut up a part that is so scarce, on the other I didn't want to
shell out $150 for a repro.  I ended up just cutting mine.

In my case, to get the precise job I wanted, I had to take the bracket
out of the car.  This allowed me to lay it flat and move it around to
whatever position worked best while marking and cutting.  I used a
dremel tool with a metal cutting attachment and it worked like a
charm.  It took me about an hour to pull everything apart.  I spent
about 2 hours marking, cutting and filing the thing and another hour+
getting everything back in.  It would have been wayyyy easier to buy
and install a repro bracket (which you might have to paint black
depending upon the vendor and your tastes), but this stuff is fun for
me and I was happy to save $150.

Some tips if you cut yours:
1.  Buy a chalk pencil from a fabric store or Walmart...with a ruler,
you can make clear markings that are easily erased.  Much easier to cut
along the lines than trying it freehand.
2.  If you use a power tool (like a Dremel), be sure not to cut in one
spot for too long.  The heat from the friction will melt the thin
rubbery layer that coats the bracket.
3.  Make sure you leave enough room between the bottom of the vents and
the top of the radio's trim panel!  My Alpine radio JUST fit.
4.  Tin snips will bend the bracket very easily, so go easy if you use
them.

-Glenn

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional