[DML] Re: Peter Chant... the fella responsible for our epoxy?

[DML] Re: Peter Chant... the fella responsible for our epoxy?

I wonder if the basic point is that, no one here was involved in the
conversations that led to the decision to not pursue ERM, therefore
who's really to say?  IMHO it likely wasn't worth the effort and risk
of incorporating it into an already inherently risky project.  Early
proof-of-concept simulations and modeling of ERM structures likely
further demonstrated that this was not a production-ready
technology.  Besides, Lotus was already going out on a limb to
develop the car, almost from scratch and in a short timeframe (the
proto was neat but hardly a useful basis for production), they likely
didn't feel a need to do things too differently than they were doing
at the time with the Esprit and pressured DMC to let them do
things `their way'.

I don't feel it's fair to conclude the Elastic Reservoir Molding
is `weak' when compared to `steel', it's really not this simple an
evaluation at all.  I'm the wrong kind of engineer to attempt
explanation, however it is very possible the ERM could yield a car
that provides superior impact force resistance and pound per pound
could be stiffer (resists compression) than some metal based uni-
body/frames.  It really is a very interesting construction
technology.

Personally, given the result, I wonder if it would have made more
sense for DMC to have worked with Lotus to mass-produce the Esprit
(under the DMC name) incorporating the safety/cosmetic ideas of John
Delorean (Gullwing/stainless skin).   Its arguable that's what pretty
much happened anyway.  The business case wouldn't have been
as `exciting', but it would have greatly reduced risk and given the
company some pedigree/experience.  Just my view 26+ years later.
Hindsight is great eh?

-Nate
11501

<*> Your email settings: