[DML] Re: Peter Chant... the fella responsible for our epoxy?

[DML] Re: Peter Chant... the fella responsible for our epoxy?

So basically you are saying that Proto One is unsafe,as that is the
concept you are referring to,in the crash mock-up.
Common sense tells you that metal (the drivtrain)forced thru
fiberglass and HDF materials(thru the the impact)will shear thru it
like a hot knife thru butter,hense the 26 mph crash results,UNLESS a
full frame is attached to the fiberglass underbody,(like on the
finished product)working together,to form a rigid substructure,in
other words,The fiberglass substructure,no matter how you look at
it,is to weak,to prevent a crush/shatter,all you have to do is see
BTTF III to see that fact,when the train hits the Delorean,it
shattered in a million pieces,since that car did not have a DMC frame
under it.Yet I owned a parts Delorean that was involved in a VERY
VERY serious head-on Collision,(in the same fashion as in BTTF III)
(but without the train)and on that car,the ONLY major damage was the
fiberglass underbody(the nose sheared off,(the weak point),they found
it over 200 feet from the car),YET the Driver was STILL able to open
BOTH doors,now had the Delorean been Engineered with the orignal
concept(ERM) the chances are the driver would NOT be here today,he
would mostly likely,have become part of the engine/drivetrain!!Back
to the main point,THE orignal concept for the Delorean was EVEN
weaker,than as the one you claim,since that was supposed to be a all
NON METAL structure,all formed by the ERM process,basically a
fiberglass uni-bodied understructure!! With just a minumal metal
structure to hold the Drivetrain/rear underpinnings and in the front
the the steering and suspension,putting ALL the crash protection into
the ERM black body! My point here LOTUS /DMC DID the wise thing and
used the tried and true engineering(and VERY SAFE)from Lotus's
cars,and came out with a very safe car to be in!!

CBL

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...>
wrote:

> The article says that they abandoned the ERM process for
a fiberglass center with front and rear subframes. THAT is what was
run on Gumman's computers saying it would NOT handle a crash well. In
that article it does NOT say why the ERM process was abandoned, only that it was.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional