[DML] Rack & Pinion Failure

Last week I hit a pothole which threw the front end out of alignment
and damaged the driver's side tie rod end.

Tonight, as I began to replace the tie rod end, I notice that the
driver's side rod projecting from the steering rack appeared to be
protruding outward.  The rubber boot had split away on the outer end
of the boot and it looks like there is a ball-like end on the shaft
where it protrudes from the rack housing.

Is this something that I might get repaired at a front end shop
without getting an entire rebuild or perhaps find local parts and do
the job myself?  I'm not as much concerned about the cost as I am the
timing as my other vehicle (Grand Cherokee ) is in the shop for a
tranny and transfer case rebuild.

Thanks again for your input.

Woody

<*> Your email settings: