[DML] Re: AC and Engine Idle

It is not done with factory wiring, but it IS doable. You have to
build it yourself if your comfortable with that.  I talked about
another owner about this who had done it a couple years ago, dont
remember who it was.  I have not done this on my car myself, but the
concept is sound.

Our engine idle is controlled by a computer, the computer decides what
to do via inputs.  One input is the idle switch, telling it to
maintain idle.  Another, is the idle speed thermistor, which is
supposed to tell the computer to idle the engine a little faster when
the engine is cold.  I say supposed to because my car has never done
that, along with tons of other deloreans I have worked on, even after
replacing the thermistor.

But anyways the thermistor varies a resistance when cold (never having
experimented with this circuit, I dont know which way it varies, and
what actual resistance values it gives) and when the computer sees
this, it tells the idle motor to speed it up a bit.  In theory, once
the necessary resistance value for a desired RPM is obtained, tap into
either the cooling fan circuit (for operation with AC and just cooing
fans due to their power draw) or just the AC circuit, and put a
resistor in-line with it at the giving the this resitance, add a diode
to prevent back-flow into your AC or Fan circuit, and tap the other
end into the thermistor circuit going into the computer.  Then
whenever the AC or cooling fans turn on, the computer thinks the
engine is cold again, and speeds up the idle accordingly.

Good Luck.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club
DMC6960

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Steven L. Alves" <steve@...> wrote:

> Is there something that increases the idle when the AC clutch
engages. My other vehicles do and I thought the Delorean used to?? Was
it my imagination or have I found something else to fix?

> Steve

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: