[DML] Re: Further help on Tranny Governor

[DML] Re: Further help on Tranny Governor

I would very carefully inspect the wiring from the diagnostic plug to
the shift computer and the solenoids. If it got melted or burned by
going near the exhaust pipe that could be why one of the transistors
blew up, feeding a short. Maybe it is an intermittant short. I would
pull the pan and make sure the wiring, connectors, and the solenoids
themselves are not shorted or grounding. Measure each conductor to the
solenoids to ground, it should be very high if not infinite
resistance. This is very dangerous, if you were to just get another
shift computer you would just fry it too. You *could* try shifting
manually with a direct switch to each solenoid. I would fuse it "just
in case". This way by shifting manually you can know that the problem
is fixed before melting another shift computer. This can also get you
going temporaraly if your shift computer was to die. This is a little
unusual unless you did melt the wiring harness. To properly inspect it
you should remove it from the car along with the diagnostic plug and
the shift computer and the cable to the shift solenoids.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Kevin Heller <howdyhoho@...> wrote:

> I recently had a problem with my Transmission where it
> would refuse to shift into first. Through information
> provided by members on the list and through the tech
> section of the main site it appears this was a problem
> due to a bad power transistor.
>
> When I first took the governor apart I found a trace
> on the circuit board had melted and burned away. This
> trace led to the emitter pin on one of the
> transistors. All the pins on this transistor were
> shorted as well.
>
> In an effort to make the repair, I soldered a stranded
> copper wire to bypass the destroyed trace and replaced
> the power transistor with a newer TIP42. I also did
> the usual upgrades of replacing the caps with 50V
> rated ones and added 0.1 microfahrad coupling caps

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)