Re: [DML] The Delorean lifestyle

It happens this way on almost any old car you buy. The more you spend
"generally" the better condition, the less needs to be done. Not only
will you wind up spending the same amount even if you buy the cheaper
car, you will spend a lot more time before you can use and enjoy it.
If you cannot afford the better car wait, save up, and buy it when you
can. You might surprise yourself and still get that better car way
before you could buy the cheaper one and fix it up. Don't forget,
parts prices go up during your renovations. Your "other half" may not
be pleased with you spending all your time in the garage, etc, etc. I
am not saying you should not do anything on a car you buy. No matter
what you pay or how good it's condition expect to have to do things on
ANY car. That is part of the "fun" of old car ownership. Frame repair
should only be attempted by someone experienced in such things. It
would not take much to ruin a Delorean with a severley rusted frame.
As time goes by such cars will become more and more common and frame
repair ain't cheap. The engine is not such a big deal. If it isn't
seized or overheated you can usually get the motor running with a
major tune-up which you would have to do in any case. Worst case you
can just replace the whole "lump" and maybe go with a Stage II. If the
car isn't running and it is an automatic you must assume the
transmission will have to be rebuilt or replaced and that can be
expensive, the manual is a whole lot cheaper but in that case you have
to assume the clutch is bad and of course the master and slave
cylinders. A running car is worth more because you can tell if the
drivetrain works at all. This is why a dead car with significant frame
rust can be so cheap.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chris Murley" <qumefox@...> wrote:

> On 9/9/06, Nathan Sobieralski <valleyrat12@...> wrote:
> >
> > If you are not afraid to get you hands dirty a cheap delorean can be
> > a great option.  Make sure the frame is good and that the engine is

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)