[DML] Re: The Delorean lifestyle

And now for a "reality check",

I agree with most of what the guys have said about reliability and
maintaining the car. You'll buy one, you'll fight with it for a year
or 2, replace a bunch of parts and then it'll be as reliable as your
Camry.

I totally disagree with the very rosy picture people paint about
throngs of adoring well-wishers at every filling station and
Silverstream Diner on the highway.

First, do NOT buy the car if you care about what other people may
think about it. No everyone does NOT love BTTF. Plenty of folks think
it's nerdy on the level of Star Trek. I have learned (at least in my
location) that the DeLorean is a love/hate relationship. Yes, I've
had plenty of encounters with very friendly, curious people from kids
to oldsters who say "Wow I haven't seen one of those in 20 years!"

I have ALSO had people scream "Piece of $#!t!", throw things at me,
spit on it, argue with me over who actually built it, what kind of
car it is, and John DeLorean's lack of moral fortitude and criminal
history. Oh, and now since it's come to light that that idiot Mark
Karr the child-porn purveyor owned one, we're now lumped into the
pedophile category. Lastly, I often have to sit through lectures on
the car's lack of performance and how overpriced it was, as if
somehow my driving the car was forcing these people to endure
the "poor performance" of the DeLorean sports car.

I don't mean to make it sound all negative. It's not. I get the
thumbs up and a grin from Ferrari and Lamborghini owners all the
time. I've made a lot of good friends.
I'm just telling you that I was totally unprepared for the baseless,
and extreme hostility I've encounted at times as if merely owning the
car was a personal affront to some people. Oh, I built and installed
a flux capacitor just for the purpose of shutting up those clever gas-
station comedians.

Mine started as a daily driver until I got mad about the price of
gasoline and bought an all-electric truck for my daily commute to the
Metro. It's perfectly reliable. I've never been towed or stranded
(been close once in 4 1/2 years).

I'll tell you though that the DeLorean is the best therapy that money
can buy and it's cheaper than a professional shrink. From quiet
afternoons doing mechanical work, to cruising out to the Eastern
Shore of Maryland. When I drive it, and lock the satellite radio in
on the '80's channel, I'm 17 years old again. It's a supremely
satisfying experience and nothing that any nay-sayers have to say
about it will ruin it for me. You buy the car for you, and no one
else.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Adam B." <adamb35@...> wrote:

> I'm contemplating the best purchase of my life, and I'd like to
know what it's like being a Delorean owner (I know, loaded question
right?).  I see lots of smiling faces at the Delorean shows.
Everyone loves BTTF.

>   But I'm wondering what it's like in your day to day life.  What's
it like when you pull into a gas station?  When the general public
sees you, how do people react?  Do people, for the most part think
it's neat?  Or do they crack smartass cocaine jokes (like my dad
does)?

>   Also, as far as owning the car itself, how reliable are they?
Should I get a refurb from DMC Texas?  What's the best insurance
company for them?  Am I asking too many questions?  Ok that's all for
tonight!

>   In all seriousness, your answers are going to make the difference
on whether I make the big step and get the car that I fell in love
with as a five year old kid watching BTTF.