[DML] Re: Belt Sander on Stainless?

You can certainly use a belt sander on Stainless Steel. In fact that
is how the flat sheets are grained. The machine is called a Mansaver
and it is essentially a giant belt sander. The sanding belt is 48"
wide and several feet long. The catch is that it will only work on
flat sheets. Once formed and bent into curves you can no longer use a
belt. The way to do it after you put shapes into a sheet is by hand,
with a flap wheel, or an expander wheel with either a belt of
sandpaper or scotch-brite. The rougher the grit the faster you grain
but it is also true the faster and deeper you can damage the panel.
Without experience start with 120#. It may take longer but you will
gain experience without damaging the panels. Unless you have to take
out deep scratches you can do the car with the 120#. I recomend you do
the job by hand. It may take a lot longer but it will come out better
and the equipment is a lot cheaper. When you are done you will be an
expert! Try and only do one panel a day. Go over the panel after the
120# with the course scotch-brite pad the vendors sell for the right
look. The spray they sell is also good for the S/S but it is expensive.