[DML] Re: Fuses: Attention vendors addendum

[DML] Re: Fuses: Attention vendors addendum

More important than the fuses are the connectors that the fuse
connects to. They MUST grip the fuse tightly. If they don't there will
be resistance which causes heat which will make the contact looser
which makes more resistance and more heat until meltdown. Vicous
cycle. The thing to do is to rebend the connector so it grips the fuse
tightly. If the springiness is gone and it can't grip tightly then you
MUST replace the connector. They are not ordinary spade connectors.
They are heavy duty. Not the kind you find in the hardware store. As
for the fuses first make sure the right size is in the right spot. All
too often someone will put whatever they have into a spot where a fuse
burns out. Leave the cover off the fuseholder to dissapate heat.
Inspect the area regularly for signs of heat damage. The fans, the
lights, and the fuel pump circuit draw the heaviest loads so inspect
them carefully. Clean the fuses up with some sandpaper. Leave an
assortment of some extra fuses in a small container nearby so if you
do blow one at least you can put the right size in. I also keep a
couple of paper clips so I can bypass fuses and relays (for testing
purposes ONLY). Make sure you have the uprated circuit breakers and
relays. If you have the fan fail bypass wire w/ the fuses inspect it
carefully for signs of overheating. I have seen them melt and smoke.
If you have an origional locking module disconnect the big red wire
going to the circuit breaker.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dmc82@... wrote:

> I agree with Marc and the poor quality of fuses. How about
additionally fuses with thicker blades so they make a more secure
contact with the aging contatcts.