[DML] Re: Electric DeloreanTechnology for sale

[DML] Re: Electric DeloreanTechnology for sale

This is probably getting off topic but take it from the guy who owns
and drives a pure-electric vehicle on a daily basis. (Me)

What you're talking about is a serial hybrid. You're right. Any
generator that would actually make enough power wouldn't fit with the
batteries too.

In fact, my own research shows that the DeLorean makes a poor
electric conversion project. Why?

1. Batteries. Unless you have $60,000 for the latest exotic Lithium
Ion batteries, there is not enough room to pack in enough lead acid
traction batteries that would give you acceleration beyond 60 mph for
any reasonable distance.

2. Batteries (again). Packing in that many lead acid batteries would
grossly throw off the weight distribution. Most of the available
space is in the rear. Removing our gas tank would not free up enough
usable space to counter-balance with more batteries.

3. Suspension. We already have underrrated suspension components.
Nearly everyone who converts a gas powered car to EV beefs up the
suspension due to the extra weight. Springs would be easy. Redesigned
Control arms anyone?

As Tilley has shown, mounting a powerful enough electric motor to the
existing transmission is not a problem. It's simply a matter of
fabricating an adapter plate- something EV conversion folks do all
the time. The motor is much much smaller and lighter but what you
gain from that is immediately overcome by the weight from your fuel
source, the batteries.

Give me some affordable LiIon batteries and then we can make a good
EV DeLorean. They weigh 1/4 or less of a comparably sized lead
battery and contain 3-10 times the energy. Don't even get me started
on battery chemistry.

The best conversion vehicles are old VW's. Beetles and Karmann
Ghia's, Pontiac Fieros sometimes but it's a TIGHT fit. If you want a
real electric sports car and have $100,000 to throw away, buy a
Tesla: www.teslamotors.com.

We now return you to your conventionally-powered DeLorean programming.

Rich A.