[DML] Cooling fan light choice (Was Re: Fanzilla Failure???)

[DML] Cooling fan light choice (Was Re: Fanzilla Failure???)

Obviously ever since John introduced these fan fix boxes, operation
of the "cooling fan failure" light has become a matter of personal
taste.

Some drivers enjoy "managing" their cars more than others and some
are more puritanical, prefering to keep things stock. Neither desire
is "wrong" in my opinion.

I've thought about the Joe Cool or Fanzilla module but the reason I
stick with the Hervey Fan Fix box is because even though I do
quality work on my own car, and I trust myself, I'm just plain
paranoid about overheating the engine.

I don't always look at the temperature gauge as often as I should,
but I do notice that red light winking on and off out of the corner
of my eye, in heavy traffic and when the A/C is running. I'd
definitely notice it's absence and be reminded to check the gauge
for an overheat condition.

I certainly don't regard the Hervey box as "inferior" just because
it's wired to cycle the fan light with the operation of the fans.
That's a personal choice not an engineering flaw. I don't really
understand some of the derisive comments that have been made
regarding that particular product.

I'm certain that if someone really, really wanted it, it would take
John about 10 minutes to wire the fan light to work the original way
with his box. John's also correct in that there are 2 choices on the
market for fans that draw 1/2 the current and move the same amount
of air, thus negating the need for any special fan boxes at all.

It would be interesting if DMCH or someone sold original blue fan
fail modules again for folks who've replaced their fans with less
hungry models.

I'm not shill for any vendor but I see a lot of negative comments
towards Hervey's products these days that aren't necessarily
engineering related but are more of a personal nature. Lest we
forget, John has posted hundreds of tech tips and photos on his
website long before DMCHelp.com came along, and whether you agree
with his parts sourcing or not, his prices have helped moderate
prices in the DeLorean parts market.

Before I ramble, my point is this: If you don't like his stuff,
fine. Don't buy it. If you sell a product that you think is better,
simply state the specifications and let the consumer decide. No need
to get personal or derisive.

I base my purchases on technical specification, not on some vendor's
opinion on the idiocy of another vendor's product.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Hervey" <john@...> wrote:

> Steve, I understand the are several choices out there but just
because it's
> sold by one vendor doesn't make it better. I have listened for 4
or 5 years
> about how the Fan Zilla doesn't fail, but it fails more often than
you
> think.
> If you really want to get ride of all the Fan Fails or Fan Fixes,
then buy
> the new fans that only draw 11 amps instead if 30 and you won't
need any
> fixes. Your car will love them.
>
> The light coming on has more features that you may not thing of.
> #1. It can tell you how many times the AC compressor is cycling
since you
> can see the light coming on and off and will be able to adjust it
to your
> taste.
> #2. You will be able to tell if the fans are getting power and are
coming on
> and the otterstat is cycling.
> John Hervey
> www.specialtauto.com