[DML] Re: collapsible steering column

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:

> I would argue that properly repairing the steering column is about as
> dangerous as rebuilding a steering rack (which all of the Delorean
> venders do).

A steering rack is no designed to react in a certain way in the event
of an accident like the collapsible steering column, so that analogy
is flawed.

Also, all the vendors rebuild the racks because there is no option to
get a new one. Again, the new racks are in production and even this
will no longer be required or even cost-effective.

> The point is that a part, any part, properly repaired can
> be as good (or maybe even better) than a new part.

Not all parts are repairable, for starters, and in regards to the
steering column, neither you nor I are qualified to unequivocally
state that a welded column is okay or not okay. I simply prefer to err
  (if that is indeed what it is) on the side of caution, particularly
when safety could be at stake.

> Just because DMCH
> has an abundance of parts should not mean that some parts are too
> dangerous to repair. I would agree that a new part is usually better
> but in this case I cannot see that replacing the column would be any
> better than repairing the old one. The new part has the same chance of
> failure as the origional part did.

I would argue, and I think most would agree that a new, unused part
has a much smaller chance of failure than a part that has been in use
for perhaps tens of thousands of miles over 25 years.

> important than others. A failure in the steering could cause a loss of
> control with disasterous consequences.

Exactly! So why take the chance?

(SNIP)

> by my opinion that the column was never meant to fail in this manner
> so it is either a design defect or a manufacturing defect. The
> inventoried parts will fail the same way, they are not any better so

I disagree, and neither you nor I could prove this without waiting for
 another 25 years to pass - unless you have access to a lab that can
test them? I'll supply the parts. :-)

> why NOT fix the failed part? I understand that Liability has a whole
> different meaning for a vendor, it is not quite the same thing as an
> owner to repair his own car in any manner he chooses. I wonder how you
> would argue this if DMCH didn't have any columns in stock.

I would argue it the same as all vendors have done with other safety
critical, non-existent parts. Rebuild until a better option becomes
available. Again, I argue against taking unnecessary risks wth safety
related items - always take the known versus the unknown.

> I hate seeing precious inventory used up unnecessarily. If it is that
> critical a part maybe there should be some kind of exchange program
> with a credit for the cores?
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

In that case, perhaps we shouldn't sell anything...save it all for the
future? My opinion is that a broken column in a part that IS necessary
to replace - it's not a frivolous use of a part!

James