Re: [DML] Clutch Slipping

It's not only the factory or aftermaket adjustable linkage bar that
can cause this. I recently installed a new clutch master (origin
uncertain - owner brought it with him) that had a built-in adjuster
right on the link rod. Nice idea, but it came out of the box with the
rod set maybe 1/8" too long. This took all the slop out of the pedal
and did not allow the relief valve to open. This caused the clutch to
start slipping almost immediately. The fix was to shorten the link a
bit, but it could easily have led to a mis-diagnosis of a bad clutch,
at worst it could have caused the clutch to wear out quickly.

So - if you happen to get one of the adjustable masters, be sure to
check the adjustment, making sure that the cylinder is completely
released when the pedal is all the way up.

Wierd coincidence - on the same day I had the same problem on my
daughter's Subaru. Same linkage design. And I'm not convinced that it
didn't cost me a clutch job on that one. (BTW - on a Subaru you pull
the engine to change the clutch - OW!)

Dave S