Re: [DML] Clutch Slipping

That's a good point about the throwout bearing binding.  I haven't ever
seen that, but it's a distinct possibility.  Another bug, now that I
think about it, could be the odious adjustable link that the factory
sold for a while to try and remedy the problems caused by the swelling
of the hydraulic line between the master and slave.  If these are set
too long, it can hold the release bearing hard against the fingers of
the pressure plate, releasing the clutch slightly.  It would have the
same effect as 'riding the clutch'.  Wear would be greatly accelerated
and slipping would be a problem.

There have been times when clutch parts, discs in particular, have been
hard to find.  One solution, tried at one time or another by all the
major vendors, was to use rebuilt discs: discs with new material rivited
to a used frame.  In all cases these were proven unsatisfactory.  The
springs were used and tired so pedal take-up was choppy.  The bond
between the frame and clutch material didn't stand up and the discs
didn't last. When a service organisation delivers a car, they want the
problem gone.  Come-back and warranty work is VERY expensive.  No matter
the availability or convenience, inferior parts eventually cost more.
The same is true for the DYIer.  No time nor expense is saved if one
must go back in to change a faulty part.  Valeo clutches are now readily
available and there is no need to take a chance on a rebuilt clutch.  No
full service Delorean shop will.  We have to stand behind our work and
merchandise.  As installers, we cannot afford to give any warranty, much
less a 'lifetime' one on a re-condidtioned clutch disc.
Warren at DMC

  Cirillo Ronald A NPRI wrote:
> I read all the replies concerning this post and the information was all-good for a slipping clutch.  The one thing that I did not see was a little gremlin that bit me on my car.  The first thing I would ask is how many miles on your car?  Has the car sat for a long period?   You want to determine if the miles is consistent with a worn clutch.  The vendors and group can give you a good idea of how long a clutch should last in miles.  The prices for the clutch kit are very reasonable.  What you have to realize is that if you do not do the job yourself the biggest expense will be the labor to do the job.  Luckily I did the job myself.  My clutch was slipping after the car was laid up for a long period of time-never again.  Your problem could be a buildup of corrosion on the input shaft to the transmission if you have relatively low miles on your present clutch.  This corrosion will cause the clutch release bearing to stick on the shaft.  When it sticks you do not get a full r

el!