[DML] Re: Stainless Frame Features

The way the Frame/structure was engineered(for the front of the car)
was that the impact would BE absorbed THRU the Black body,and the
frame would act like a stiffner for the black body,as of yet in my
22yrs plus of owning Deloreans I have YET to see a Delorean with a
Crushed Front frame structure,meaning up to the firewall,and I have
had parts cars(deloreans)that had been involved in VERY serious
accidents,and in ALL cases the crumple tubes were/had very minor
damage,but the Nose on the black bodies were totally sheared
off,suggesting that the full force of the frontal impact was
absorbed,throughout the black body,with only minor impact absorbed
thru the frame itself.That was why he could get away with just using
a mild steel frame,think about it some parts of the frame are the
thickness of a DIME!!
But on the other hand the impact on the rear of the Delorean was
engineered to be absorbed thru the the frame,(remember that it has
hollow pontoons,that give next to zero impact resistance!)and the
black body
acting AS A stiffner,the opposite of the front of the car.(you will
notice the back of the frame is MUCH beefer,than the front part,for
this reason,and the fact that it contains the full drivetrain.If you
ever had/have the chance to slice apart a scrap black body,(I have)
you will understand,the major engineering that went into the
Designing of the Black body for your safety.

Regards
CBL
--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bryan Pearce <bryanp@...> wrote:

> Videobob,
>
> Thank you for the comments.
>
> In brief, the front upper and lower control arms are separate
because
> they can be used with a stock DeLorean frame.  This also allows
> someone the option to limit the amount of money spent up front for
> Stainless frame.  I will calculate a package price for everything
we
> produce to incorporate some savings those that would like
everything
> Stainless and make it available on the web site.
>
> The front crumple tube and frame for that matter, are designed
with
> the properties of Stainless Steel in mind.  This did require a
great
> deal of thought and correspondence with Mr. DeLorean.  The frame
> needed to be completely redesigned for Stainless Steel and not
just
> copied from the steel frame.  We wanted the crumple tubes to be
> strong enough not to require the safety recall but not too strong
> prevent them from performing their intended function.
>
> --
> Bryan Pearce
> Pearce Design Components
> 2N629 Jefferson St.