Re: [DML] Re: Stainless Frame Features

Hi All

My tuppenceworth to follow :-)

1) I worked on the Explodaview car over the space of several weeks and
saw the quality of the galvanising and powder coating firsthand. In the
case of that car, the frame was fine to begin with, just the usual flaky
patches and surface rust. It was hot-dip galvanised locally to me and
the process resulted in the epoxy coming off. The only part to warp was
the fuel tank flap. I know little of the galvanising process but John
clearly did his research. The Explodaview frame was given a 100 year
rust-free guarantee. However some spots did appear along some of the
tight seams where air may well have been trapped during the galvanising
process. These were extremely small. All the captive nuts required
re-tapping afterwards too.

2) Lotus galvanised all the Esprit chassis (chassises???). They have a
far higher level of rust problems than the DeLorean after 25 years.
Lotus used the epoxy method on the baby Elan. If you think galvanising
is as bullet proof as epoxy or powder coating, think again. It's very
hard but can still scratch and is thinner. "powder coating" covers a
range if plastics too, and I've seen some phenominal nylon coatings that
you could fire a shotgun at and watch it bounce off (okay, probably
slight exaggeration there!)

3) I had the pleasure of visiting Bryan's home and seeing the frames in
production. While they are obviously hand made, the attention to detail
is intricate. Some modifications were necessary to cover the different
approaches between mass production and hand craftsmanship. It was
pointed out to me how the original frames were spot welded, and the
stainless frames are seam welded. They are much stronger and as has been
stated, far more servicable and will last a lifetime, and IMO worth
every penny. My only beef is the move away from metric fastners......

4) IMO the stainless frame will add value to the car and so is a
potentially worthy investment, although perhaps only to someone who
drives their car every day and the frame has rotted, or to someone who
has bought a cheap car because it has a rotten chassis. Then again, most
cars treated as "garage jewellery" do not have problems with frame rust
anyway!

I am personally "on the fence" on this one. I have no real problem with
either approach, and I don't think John does either other than cost. One
day, if I still have my DeLorean when the frame falls apart, I'd like to
have a stainless frame, but I fear their production run will be all too
limited compared to the lifetime of most of the original frames. I
reckon 25 years from now, when we start to get frame problems in a
larger proportion, I sincerely hope Bryan and his Dad are still making
them otherwise suddenly they will become very valuable and sought after.

Martin
DMCL
www.delorean.co.uk