[DML] Re: Rack & Pinion problems

I saw that happen on a car that had maybe 2500 miles on it. The
bushing on the passenger-side end had just disintegrated. This is a
non-available part, so anyone who rebuilds the racks is having the
part made locally (it's very hard Nylon or Delrin-type plastic). To
replace it you also have to remove the inner tie-rod end which if I
recall correctly is pinned in place.

The car that I saw this on was being driven but the complaint was
uneven steering and lots of clunking noises up front. No permanent
damage, but over time it would have beat up the end of the housing
and the rack itself. Unless you are a machinist, and can figure out
what the plastic parts were supposed to look like all in one piece,
you are probably in the market for a professionally rebuilt steering
rack. I think all the vendors are providing this as an exchange
service as this rack does not cross to any other car, and there are
no more new ones.

Dave S