[DML] Re: So...who won the raffle car???

[DML] Re: So...who won the raffle car???

Hello,

Some of you know me and some of you don't.  I'm Marty, and I won the
raffle car at the DeLorean Car Show.  I'd just like to give those of
you who don't know me a little background.  I've been on the DML since
1998.  I've mostly  been a lurker with only a few posts mostly because
I'm usually a few days behind in reading it, and by the time I have
anything to say, so many other knowledgable folks have chimed in.  I'm
not a much of an auto-tech type person so a lot of the discussion goes
over my head.  I've been active with the DeLorean Midwest Connection
for a few years.  Folks like Dave Swingle, Rich W, Marty Meier, Jim
Reeve, and many others have helped me numerous times with so many
items on my car.  I've gained confidence and knowledge through them
and this list.

Unlike most of you however, the DeLorean, is not my #1 hobby and
interest.  Sure, I have the Sunstar model in my living room, but it
sits across from some rare 45s from my close personal friend, "Weird
Al" Yankovic.  I've been a good friend of his for over 10 years.  I
run the largest fan-based website about him and his band.  He has used
me in some of his projects.  Go to
http://www.al-oholicsanonymous.com/alvideo.html and click on the clip
from The Weird Al Show with his imaginary friend Gilbert Gottfried to
see what I mean.  If anyone is familiar with his work, the last track
on his 1999 album, "Running With Scissors", is called "Albuquerque"
which is simply him rambling for about eleven and a half minutes.
3/4ths of the way through, he tells a story about meeting a person
named Marty.  While the story he tells isn't true, he said he was
thinking of me when he wrote it.  I tend to be very sarcastic and
well, he took that to it's logical conclusion.  Lyrics are at
http://www.yankovic.org/WeirdAl/j_Running_With_Scissors/index.php#12
Somewhere I have a photo of him, myself, and a chainsaw. A few years
ago, if you can believe it, there was the "Weird Al" community
equivalent of the DeLorean Car Show.  While there, I mentioned to Al I
had driven my DeLorean and asked if he would mind posing for some
pictures.  One of those featured him sitting in my trunk, and that
photo became a cover story for the DeLorean Midwest Connection
newsletter (Thank you Mark and Melissa V).  If anyone found my car at
the show outside and not under a tent, it featured photos of this
event.  Later that year, I took a trip to see Al perform in Orange
County, CA.  While there, I stopped in Garden Grove and toured Don's
shop.  He asked why I was in town.  When I told him I was seeing
"Weird Al", he said "Wasn't he just on the cover of one of the club
newsletters in the trunk of someones car?" I replied, "Yep, that was
mine."

A few months ago, I drove in the Chicago St. Patricks Day parade.  We
managed to get a low enough parade number (probably thanks to Rich) to
get television coverage.  Well, the on air personality apparently
liked my shirt and interviewed me.  You can see that here.
http://www.delorean-midwest.org/events/2006_Events/SPDP/spdp2006.htm

I'd like to thank Ken and everyone he enlisted in putting on a great
car show.  Certainly for me, it will be one I won't ever forget.  I
know the collection of cars and show impressed some of my non-DeLorean
friends who came or saw our cars in the parking lot of their workplace
at Fermilab.  One of the best parts of the DCS is the sense of
community.  I met so many folks I recognize by online name and talked
to me as if they knew me their whole lives.  My girlfriend, new to the
entire DeLorean scene, has been floored with how nice, friendly and
open nearly everyone is.  I won't say anything negative about 'the
Corvette people', but I walked through their show briefly and
overheard them at breakfast or in the elevator, and did not get the
same sense of 'family' that we have.

Winning the car was an incredible honor and a great thrill.  It was
great to share my joy with so many friends.  So, what am I going to do
with my new wheels?  Right now, I'm going to drive it and give it a
good home.  I'll see if I like it better than my other car that for
all it's problems, and feels like the red-headed stepchild of
DeLoreans, I've grown rather attached to.  I dunno.  Maybe I'll keep
it as a backup in case my other gets hit by a train when I return from
1885.  I'll let everyone know what will happen.

Your friend in time,

Marty