[DML] Award/Parking Confusion -- was: (Re: DCS-08 in Gettysburg, PA? Why

[DML] Award/Parking Confusion -- was: (Re: DCS-08 in Gettysburg, PA? Why?)

> 10b. Re: DCS-08 in Gettysburg, PA? Why?
> Posted by: "Tom Tait" TTait@xxxxxxxxxx thomasttait
> Date: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:55 pm (PDT)
>
>>snip<<
>
> When they gave out the award last night for the greatest distance
> traveled there was some confusion, but someone did say "didn't someone
> trailer their car in from CA?"  Wow...  that's sad.

Tom, et al,

Since the Cleveland show my wife and I (along with other various volunteers) have
been involved in registering/parking of the cars for the Saturday shows. (Thank
you Mrs. Brandys and  Pactrick Conlon for helping us this year.) Here is my
wife's response regarding this years complications/confusions.

Shannon Y
16506

----

A quick explanation from my perspective - I am sooooo sorry!!!!

Saturday Morning, June 18, I was one of the two individuals working at the
outside judging registration table.  If you visited us that morning, you were
told by us not to worry about those categories such as "Farthest Traveled" or
"Youngest Driver."  We were unaware of the format change, and were not informed
that we were to be gathering that information.  In the past shows, these
categories were addressed at the awards dinner, utilizing a very informal "Can
anyone beat that?" method from the stage.  It was our assumption that this would
be the format again this year.  We really had no idea until that night at the
Awards Dinner that any change had been made.

Some names were taken at the table during the initial confusion of the parking
and registration changes that were going on.  It was later in the day we
concluded that the information we were gathering wouldn't assist in determining
the winners of categories that didn't involve judging of the cars.  At that point
we stopped collecting names.  Again, not suspecting any format changes from
previous years, I didn't bring to Ken's attention the fact that we had some names
listed, but not everyone who should have been considered.  The winners were taken
from the partial list.

Also, to pre-empt any questions, it is my understanding that any "official"
judging (for the mileage classes) was done according to VIN numbers listed via
the show registration process, so no one was missed if they did not come to the
judging registration table, with the exception of cars the judges did not have
access to.  However, for any additional classes or "fun" categories you would
have had to visit us and indicate your desire to be judged.  Announcements were
made (I am told I cannot say that I personally made or heard them) in our attempt
to inform everyone of this requirement.  I suspect there was some confusion
between the "show registration" and the "judging registration" I was involved
with.

I really am sorry for the way things turned out, and I wish I would have known a
few more details so this wouldn't have happened.  I certainly didn't want anyone
cheated out of a well-deserved trophy!  Rest assured that a BIG NOTE has been
made in the book of "What NOT To Do Next Time".

Please keep in mind that we were baking for hours in the morning sun accumulating
dust from the continuous parking traffic directly behind us while attempting to
do the best we could with the on-the-fly changes and other frustrations.  An open
apology to anyone who happened to catch me at a grumpy moment between 8:00am and
12:00pm.

Jenette

http://mail.yahoo.com