Re: [DML] Turbo Affair.

funkstuf wrote:
> I need a turbo expert now.  I'm having an affair with a Delorean and
> my latest fling is a Turbo.
> 941 is a Turbo.  I just got her back from having some fascias painting
> etc.  She is my project Delorean and I am hoping to have her on the
> road this summer..
> Are there any turbo experts that I could possibly correspond with
> privately?  Or if you have a phone I will be happy to pay for the call
> because I need to talk about this crazy thing a little.  I can't tell
> if my Turbo is working properly and need to understand some things.
> It's not an Island.. It is a WATER COOLED Turbo that the original
> owner put on.  I spoke with him but he can't remember much about it.
> Please email me with contact info.
> Thanks
> Dale Funk
> 4984
> 941

I'm no expert, but I know enough about it to actually be attempting to
turbo my own delorean, and be serious enough about it to have actually
bought turbos already. :P
I'd suggest, and actually this is for EVERYBODY who has any interest in
turbocharging anything, unless you really do know absolutely everything
there is to know on the subject, that you pick up a copy of a book
called 'Maximum Boost' by Corky Bell. It is by far one of the best books
on turbochargers and turbocharging i've ever read. And if you poke
around many forums involving turbos, it's hard to not see this book come
up regularly as recommend reading material.

The easiest way to tell if your turbo is working properly is to look at
your boost gage and see if it's making boost. If you don't have one then
shame on you. It's pretty much a requirement to know what the turbo is
doing and if your wastegate is working properly. I'm not sure i'd drive
any turbo'd vehicle that didn't have some form of boost gage. Even the
uncalibrated ones a lot of stock turbocharged vehicles have is much
better than nothing, as you can tell what's normal or not with them.
Another thing to remember, is if it's not intercooled, about 7psi boost
is the absolute max you can run. You might squeeze another psi or two
out of it by intercooling, but i'm not sure how much the stock piston
rings can handle without suffering blowby, and pressurizing the
crankcase with boost isn't something you really want to happen. I think
this information is somewhere in the DML archive, you'll just have to
search for it. I do remember how much boost a stock b28f can take being
discussed before.

Another thing to keep in mind is turbos don't make boost all the time,
which I kinda think is why your not sure if your turbo is working. Below
the boost threshold, the turbo isn't doing anything.. There simply isn't
enough exhaust gasses passing through the turbine to spin the compressor
fast enough to do any good below that point. This is actually a good
thing. On a street vehicle you really don't want any boost at the normal
cruising rpm's. The reason being when your under boost, you have no
manifold vacuum, which means none of your vacuum accessories will work..
like the power brakes, AC vent controls, etc. If your boost threshold is
set say, so you hit maximum boost at 50% redline, then you can generally
get away with only having to add a small vacuum reservoir to the system,
with a one way valve so it won't get pressurized with boost, to maintain
the system vacuum when you've got your foot in it. The lower your boost
threshold is, the sooner you'll be making power, but then you have to
find some other way to power the vacuum accessories, which makes things
more complicated.

--
Chris
VIN# 3209