Re: [DML] Re: Door Solenoids and lock modules.

On 6/2/06, David Teitelbaum <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The other problem is the very undercapacity relays in the locking module.
> Eventually the contacts will weld together.

Actually, from my understanding this is less an issue of capacity as
it is with the relays not being sealed.

The stock relays in the door lock module are "open air". Meaning they
have a normal atmosphere around them. A relay like that will give off
a small spark every time it closes; the more current you drive through
it, the worse the spark is. Given that the solenoids draw a fair
amount of current, you get a fair amount of spark. Over time, this
wears away at the contacts and one day they simply fuse together
enough that the release springs aren't strong enough to release.

Most automotive relays are sealed. An inert gas such as nitrogen or
argon is placed into the relay chamber. In this inert environment, the
sparks don't happen and this problem is solved.

The fix for this issue is the replacement of the relays with a sealed
set. In my case, I went with DPNW's linear actuator solution to
replace my failed solenoids caused by the failed relays. While the
stock open-air relays are used in the DPNW kit, they simply drive a
pair of sealed outboard relays. Thus the current flowing through the
stock relays is so small, the spark is virtually non-existant. All of
the big current switching (and I hesitate to use the word "big", as
the linear actuators draw a fraction the current of the original
solenoids) happens on the sealed relays.

I did have to replace the stock relays in the lock module, though. My
originals were too far gone. John Hervey sells replacements on his web
site - it's a fairly easy soldering job to remove & replace them.

-Ryan