[DML] Re: Door Solenoids and lock modules.

[DML] Re: Door Solenoids and lock modules.

The problem is not with the solenoids or even the linkage and the
lubrication. The problems with the doors is two-fold. If a door gets
out-of-adjustment or is forced open, closed, locked or unlocked the
linkage bends and gets out of adjustment. The other problem is the
very undercapacity relays in the locking module. Eventually the
contacts will weld together. When that happens current will flow
continually until the battery dies. This also causes the solenoids to
short out. In the meantime it will not allow you to manually unlock
the doors.
 To prevent probems with the doors they have to be adjusted properly
and never forced. If you find you have to slam the doors to get them
closed you are forcing things and that is not good. You should also
NOT be able to lock them if both latches are NOT in 2nd locking
position. The other thing you have to do is either upgrade the locking
module somehow, either by replacing with one of the better substitutes
or by simply disconnecting the old locking module and foregoing the
Centeral Locking Function. The solenoids are not the problem, they are
a symptom of the real problem. If they are not powerful enough to lock
and unlock the doors they have probably already been damaged.
Lubrication is not the answer. Rewinding the solenoids is required.
You are correct, the Delorean isn't the only car to use solenoids, it
IS the only car that uses the cr-py locking module! Most other cars
have gone to actuators anyway. Lighter, more powerful, and require
less current.
David teitelbaum
vin 10757