[DML] Re: To replace or not to replace...

[DML] Re: To replace or not to replace...

Matt,

A lot of this is expressed as opinion so I'll offer mine:

1. A DeLorean owner's favorite saying is "While you're already in
there...".

2. I am preparing for this exact job and would love to hear "before
and after" stories when you're done.

3. The bushings are removed with an arbor press. I feel that for the
low cost, it should be done since the car will already be apart.

4. Most people will tell you that the wheel bearings are sealed so
you'll never need to replace them. That's totally incorrect in my
personal experience. If the seals dry out or rupture the bearing
lubricant dries out or washes away. ALL of my bearings began to howl
and needed replacement one after the other. Again, these are not
expensive, nor are they difficult to replace. As Nike says: "Just do
it". Mine literally fell apart once they were pressed out. They were
either empty of grease or it was thin and viscous, devoid of any
lubricating properties.

Really, I'd just do it all. Upper/lower ball joints and bushings and
shocks. Steering rack if it's sloppy, tie-rod ends for sure.

My handling is horrible. My lower ball joints pop and clunk like an
arthritic old man on every turn and my shocks make the car float and
drift like I'm driving a boat. I finally have all the parts gathered
up and I'm ready to begin. I just need to set a time at my buddy's
house so I can work in peace and use some of the uncommon tools that
he has.

I really hope I haven't overlooked anything. Good luck,

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Matt Spittle" <matthew.spittle@...>