[DML] regulator problem?

My car (vin 3579) has been running fine (with expert attention from Rob Grady every now and then) since it came into my possession almost two years ago, has been a reliable daily driver, and I'm very happy with it. But...

Couple days ago I noticed that voltage was dropping when I would turn on lights, fans,..., revving engine did not bring it back up. Normally voltage is just above the 13V mark on the voltmeter in the instrument cluster. It was dropping close to the orange mark midway between the 8V and 13V lines. Not good, I was thinking. Parked it for the nite.

Yesterday (Saturday) morning when I started it the alternator kicked in, voltage came up where it was supposed to be. Oh fine I'm thinking, an intermittent. Drove it out to get some breakfast. On the return trip voltage again was sagging, alternator would not kick in. Had to make the 25 mile drive in to work in the afternoon, so charged up the battery and went for it. Voltage sagged for the whole drive, except briefly at the start of the return trip alternator kicked in for a few seconds.

Appears to me to be a regulator problem. I looked back thru the records from the previous owner, found no indication that the alternator had been replaced. It has the 90A Motorola. Any point in trying to chase this down, or should I just buy a new alternator? Any good ideas, advice,...?