Re: [DML] *** Lower engine cover Cracking ***

Re: [DML] *** Lower engine cover Cracking ***

Not sure if this helps, but my engine cover was cracked at the bottom
center.  Someone probably tried to force it closed without undoing the stay
& it basically started to crack and fold in half at the bottom.

The cover has that 1 1/4 (or so) by few feet area between the hinge mounting
flats with only a tiny center riblet to offer support.  I beefed mine up big
time, and now the engine cover & mount actually work properly.  The engine
cover stands tall and proud.

Anyway, I just fixed mine using this process:

1. Remove engine cover, place bottom-side up on table, bench, milk crate w/
protective floormat, etc.
2. Chisel/sand the 1 1/4 (or so) long center rib flush with rest of engine
cover.  Not all of it, just that 1 1/4 (or so) area at the bottom between
the horizontal supports.
3. Obtain a piece of 1/8" thick by 1 1/4 (or so) aluminum bar stock from
favorite aluminum bar stock store (I got mine from Home Depot).
4. Cut bar stock to same length as area between hinge mounting flats.
5. Rough sand & clean engine cover in area soon-to-recieve-aluminum bar.
6. Rough up one side of aluminum bar with some gritty sandpaper.
7. Mix up your preferred brand of epoxy.  Remember, a little goes a long way
when it's pressed between 2 flat surfaces.
8. Spread epoxy on engine cover & press bar into place.  Apply clamps
appropriately.
8.5 Maybe you want to put some filler or body glaze in the gaps & shape it
so it blends it in better.  Either way, nobody will notice except you.
9. When epoxy has set, mask rest of cover & spray on some primer (something
that works with aluminum)
10. Paint it black.
11. Reinstall engine cover.
12. Enjoy.
13. Stop enjoying.  People are beginning to stare.

*I think it's 1 1/4 wide but it might be longer.  Measure just to be sure.
Home Depot has a piece of bar stock that fits like a glove.

Now, if it's the spot the cover support block mounts too, some vendors offer
replacement staying blocks with extra screw holes, like this for example:

http://delorean-parts.com/  (look for the Engine Cover Support Slide Block)

-Luke & 10270