Re: [DML] Strange Clutch Problem (Perhaps Involving Adjustable Linkage)

Re: [DML] Strange Clutch Problem (Perhaps Involving Adjustable Linkage)

  Hi Patrick,

  The pin should definitely be replaced to take the slop out.  I guess if Houston doesn't have any, maybe you could find/make one elsewhere?  -Though I'm not sure I could tell you where to look!

  A couple of other thoughts about the clutch:  I'd be willing to bet that most of the clutch problems that were solved by the factory adjustable linkage could have also been solved by the stainless clutch line, as it essentially performs some of the same function.  I assume you've got the braided line?

  Also, it's ok if the car doesn't stall when you let the clutch out slowly.  You should only be concerned if you also have your foot on the brake (then the clutch is bad)!  If you ride the clutch enough, you never need to give the car any gas.  -But this is bad practice, and bad for the clutch life to stall at the friction point that long.  Where on the pedal travel is your friction point?  That may tell you something about the condition of the clutch.

  As far as it being worn out at 20K, I would agree that it is unlikely.  However it really depends on the driving style (or lack thereof) of the previous owner.  My records show that my original was replaced at 25K, along with the clutch line, a few thousand miles before I bought it.  I've put about 40,000 miles on that clutch since, and it's still grabbing strong.

  Good luck and see you in PR!

  Jake Kamphoefner
  1063