RE: [DML] Re: Planning to replace axle boots yourself? Please read for s

RE: [DML] Re: Planning to replace axle boots yourself? Please read for safety.

great, good clear instructions. many thanks, David

________________________________

From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of David Teitelbaum
Sent: Mon 4/24/2006 1:44 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: Planning to replace axle boots yourself? Please read for safety.

Get a short piece of 2X4, about 1 foot long, and put it on the floor
jack pad. In the front use it front-to-back just ahead of the fuel
tank. You will see the head of a small bolt, go just in front of that
place the 2X4 and lift. For the rear you really don't need the wood,
just a shop rag. Use the frame member under and just in front of the
motor in the center. For the jackstands, in the front I put them under
the loops, stay away from the lower control arms, they can be easily
damaged. In the rear I put the jackstands under the lower shock
absorber mount. You have to be careful because they will tend to
spread as you put weight on them so you have to reset the jackstands.
Be careful not to let the jackstands touch the rear tires. I usually
lift the front first so I have enough room to get under with the floor
jack and the wood. Try to only lift on a flat, smooth, and level
concrete floor. With good jackstands you can lift the car way up into
"Hover Mode" so you can move under it easily with a creeper. If the
frame of the car is very rotten you have to be extra careful how you
lift it. You can do a lot of damage if it is rusted out and you are
not careful.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cameron, Peter" <cameron@...> wrote:

> where does on place the floor jack under the car? where is a safe
contact point, where there is no risk of bending something? I would
prefer to put the floor jack somewhere midway between the wheels. In
the front there is frame member behind crush tube, but I'm concerned I
would bend metal if I lifted there