[DML] Re: Question about Air Conditioning cycling

[DML] Re: Question about Air Conditioning cycling

Thanks for the replies to my cycling concern.

I have the Fan Fail Fix 2x2, and upgraded breakers, so I should be
in good shape there.  I should probably wait for hotter weather
before I complain about cycling, becuase the outside temp was only
in the mid to high 60's when I encountered the fast cycling.  I
suppose I should wait for an 80 degree day and see what the cycle
time is then.

Paul

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft@...>
wrote:

> I see numerous responses to your concern. The one thing you should
> definitely be concerned with is the frequent cycling of the
cooling
> fans. This could lead to an over heated fan circuit stopping the
> fans and causing engine over heating.
>
> Unfortunately the fans are designed OEM to cycle precisely with
the
> AC compressor. I say unfortunately because if the AC system does
> become low charged or develop another issue to cause rapid cycling
> of the compressor, the fans will rapid cycle too when you have the
> AC on. The cycle of the fans with the AC compressor is completely
> independent of the otterstat used for engine cooling although the
> fan circuits for both are integrated starting at the circuit
breaker.

> The fans are what I would call "utility" quality. They are
designed
> to work in extreme conditions - to do this, their design is
anything
> but efficient. To start each fan requires 20 amps + or - a few
> depending on the condition of the fans and the electrical system
> connections, grounds, etc. This compares to 11 to 14 amps to run
> each fan once started. As the saying goes - "you do the math". The
> constant starting of the fans is extremely hard on all components
of
> the circuit and soon leads to a failure of the weakest part in the
> circuit - usually the OEM circuit breaker (a 35A standard duty
> circuit breaker with "pressed" connections) or the OEM blue module
> (notorious for poor quality inside) or the single relay (20/30 amp
> rated ? that means 30 amps start 20 run). If you beef up one
thing,
> another component will soon fail ? maybe in flames. BTW the motor
> will be the last thing to go in my experience.
>
> All of this has been the topic of discussion ever since the
DeLorean
> was introduced. As new in Houston (where I started 1982), a daily
> driver soon experienced "fan fail" and eventually, virtually
> everyone did.
>
> So, what to do? My suggestion is have the AC shop do a full
service
> on the AC system including replacement of the orifice tube and
> accumulator. Alternatively, as a minimum, have them do an
evacuation
> and refill with the proper amount of gas (say 2 to 2.25lb of 134
> gas ? AZ 2 lb NJ 2.25 ? just my approach). A proper functioning AC
> system will cause minimum cycling of the AC compressor and
therefore
> the least amount of stress on the cooling fan circuit. I still use
R-
> 12 (2.25 ? 2.5 lbs of gas)
>
> Next, get one of the vendors' fixes for the cooling fans. Zilla is
> by far the best vendor package offered in my opinion ? I have no
> idea if you can still get one. Or, get Hervey's set up from
SpecialT?