[DML] DMCH exhaust with alternate muffler installed

[DML] DMCH exhaust with alternate muffler installed

Hey Group,

Well today was a pretty good day for me, all things considered.  Jim  Reeve
came 250 miles to help me reinstall my engine and transmission, make sure
everything was adjusted properly, and to install DMCH's performance  exhaust.  At
the urging of another DMLer, I swapped the Flowmaster muffler  for a similar
Magnaflow muffler, which alleviates the concerns many have  expressed with a
raspy sound and burbling on decel.  I had the Magnaflow  muffler Jet-Hot coated
just like the rest of the system and with some minor  modifications to the
hangers, everything went together very easily (but quite  tight!!).

Here are my thoughts with this exhaust system.  It is built well and  looks
really good with the Jet Hot coating.  It fits really tight but  that's OK
because it does go together easily once you figure it out.  I  feel an increase in
torque in 1st and 2nd gear accompanied by a MUCH more freely  revving engine.
 There are a few burbles and hiccups on deceleration but  they are very
slight and are of no concern.  The exhaust sounds deeper with  a throatiness that
must be heard to be believed. No raspy or rice-burner  sounds.  I actually WANT
to rev it up and hear it!  In fact I don't  think I need a stereo anymore
because I'd rather hear the exhaust!!   The downside is that the deep roar of it
is a little strong at some low RPM's  and could get fatiguing, but I think
it'll be fine for what I use the car  for.  I also noticed that the pass side of
the exhaust system hangs  slightly lower than the driver side.  That is not an
installation mistake,  it is determined by the tubing and the way it all fits
together. I am planning  on bringing the car to an exhaust shop to see if
they have any ideas for  correcting this.  It's very slight and is only an
annoyance for an anal guy  like me.  Another problem with this system is that DMCH
really needs to get  on the ball and provide some good decent instructions for
the system as well as  tips and tricks for a successful install.  Some issues
I had include  brackets being drilled incorrectly, a total lack of
documentation that James  Espy graciously sent to me via mail (but it was only Jet-Hot
documentation and  nothing pertaining to the install), missing gaskets for the
cat-to-header  connection (which I got at autozone, and I have talked to other
owners who say  that DMCH does not provide these - emails went unanswered), I
also had to  lengthen the wire for the Lambda probe (no documentation to warn
about this), as  well as the most curious instance of one of the included
manifold studs  being too long so that it interferes with one of the header
pipes!! I had to put  it in backwards so the header would clear it.  Would have been
nice to know  that ahead of time.  Also the gaskets that came for the headers
were  terrible and I had to get sandwiched plate gaskets from Volvo.  BUT I
am  being kind of unfair because DMCH did modify one of the headers for me at
no  charge to accommodate a quirk with my engine caused by a dreaded PO.   That
made up for all the little annoyances.  Overall I am glad I made  this move!
It was worth the cost (almost $1800 after 2nd muffler and  little bits).

The only thing I have a problem with is my front main seal.  We  started the
car last night and it didn't leak.  In the morning there were  no signs of
leakage.  Then once we were done with the car we took it for a  cruise and at our
destination we saw a few drips of oil coming from the front  seal.  Turns out
that it doesn't leak while running or sitting, but after  you shut the engine
off after a drive it leaks about 10 drips in a row and then  stops.  I just
replaced the seal with Grady's double-lip seal and I sleeved  the pulley too.
Tonight when the engine cools down I am going to change  the oil because what
is coming from the pulley looks really watery and has a  reddish tint to it
(which is probably the gasket sealer spray I used when  replacing the oil pan
gasket).  I wonder if the gasket spray, which  oversprayed a little, has diluted
into the oil and is acting as a transfer agent  through the seal?  Well
that's why I am changing the oil (with Mobil Delvac  Super 1300) so I can eliminate
contamination.

Any other ideas on this?

Many thanks go out to Jim Reeve (whom I now owe a full day of help with his
car!!), Jason Czarnecki, and Dave Swingle (for tons of advice and good
tips!).  Can't wait for Pheasant Run!

Andy Lien

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596