[DML] Re: Won't start cold

That damm air tube is a common source of vacuum leaks. I have seen
cars where the end of the tube is mangled, the brass cup that holds
the "O" ring is mangled, and the "O" ring is floating on the tube not
sealing to the housing. Another common area for vacuum leaks is all
the little hoses on the front of the motor. When working in that tight
area it is easy to knock things loose so whenever you work in front of
the motor you have to look around and make sure everything is still
connected when you are done. The other common source of vacuum leaks
is injector seals that are hard. They should be soft so they still
seal. I have found "uncommon" leaks too. On one car the plastic tube
that carries vacuum to the mode switch had a hole rubbed into it under
the center console. On another car the large vacuum hose going to the
brake booster had a hole in it. The moral here is you have to test ALL
the vacuum hoses. On a 25 year old car they should all be replaced
anyway. If they are not pliable and soft then they won't seal. If they
get real hard they can crack. Don't forget there is a vacuum resovoir
inside the left rear pontoon. Vacuum hoses too. A bunch of small leaks
add up to a lot of air.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757