Re: [DML] Door latch replacement/upgrade

Re: [DML] Door latch replacement/upgrade

There're plenty of cars over here that won't let you pop the locks when
the door is open. It's a simple mechanism whose function is to prevent
you from locking yourself out of the car. On my Citroen, for example,
the rear doors will let you, the front doors won't. If you try, the
button is rock solid.

However on a lot of cars, you -can- pop the locks with the doors open by
lifting the handle first. The DeLorean is in this category, although I
won't go as far as to recommend doing it, I certainly do it.

I think the biggest problem is those big solenoids. When they work, they
don't haf pull hard and there's enough play in the complex linkage (by
the standard of any other car) to trigger them even when the latches
don't want to move. This forces the latches or at least put a lot of
strain on what can be some pretty fine adjustments in those linkages.
It's no wonder that most "I can't get my door open" problems relate to
the front lock rod which is long and bent into a Z-shape.

These latches are common to a large number of cars and are still in
production today and used on new cars

Martin