Re: [DML] Painting Trim Around Windshield

Re: [DML] Painting Trim Around Windshield

I painted mine about this time last year.  I used a Krylon semi-gloss
automotive spray paint that I picked up from the auto parts store.  They
make it in flat black too if that's what you want.  Just leave the trim on
and mask the car off.

It's not that hard.  You don't gotta get the old paint completely off.  You
just have to make the trim completely smooth.  Use 360 grit sand paper and
wet sand.  In fact, the more water, the better.  It makes it so that the
paper does not clog so easy.  when that is done, dry it and inspect it.  Go
over anything you may have missed.  Inspect it very carefully.  Something
that appears good will end up messing up the paint later.  Next, go back
over it and wet sand it all again with 1000 grit paper.  Same proccess.

Side note while sanding...  Be very careful when working next to the
stainless.  You don't want to scratch it with the sandpaper.

The next step depends on your preference.  You have to wet sand again using
2000 grit paper.  But, If you want the paint to be shiny like a regular
car's paint, wet sand with 2000 after you have sprayed the paint then buff
it.  It will gleem.  If you want it to just be flat black, wet sand with
2000 before spraying the paint.

Now comes paint.  Use a heat lamp to get the surface warm.  The warmer the
better (but not too hot), as heat helps the paint to bond to the surface.
Spay as many coats as you would like.  Afterwards, get a spray can of
clearcoat.  Spray a lay of that for protection.  It will look shiney at
first so it may scare you if you want flat black.  But, it is just clear
coat in a spray can from the auto parts store, so it will not stay glossy.
It is just to help protect the paint.

Like I said, I did mine last year, and they look great still.  I can send
you pics and more detailed instructions if you want.  Just shoot me an
e-mail.

Corey
2423
coreysmoo@xxxxxxxxxxx