Re: [DML] VIN#04421 Lives Again and Rough Idle - Vacuum Leak

Re: [DML] VIN#04421 Lives Again and Rough Idle - Vacuum Leak

I did a long post last year, (I think), on vacuum leaks.  I concur with
your diagnosis.  An easy and fairly safe method of tracking down air
leaks is with a spray can of WD-40.  With the engine running, squirt the
oil on or near the place that might be leaking.  If the idle picks up
and smoothes out for a second, you've found one.  WD-40 is flammable but
not as volitile as gasoline.  I've used carb cleaner before, but
processing that thru the engine sends hydrocloric acid vapor out the
exhaust.  Usual suspects are: intake manifold, injector seals, w-pipe
gaskets, and especially the idle tube and associated piping.  You can
spray WD around pretty liberally without hurting anything, but keep
enough control to know where you were pointing when the engine note
changed.  Of course, it will always change if you squirt it down the
intake, so accuracy and restraint will pay off.
Warren at DMC