[DML] Re: Front Ride Height Intentions

Front Ride Height Intentions

Sorry I *should* have removed the "Documented Proof" part from the
response line,
I have from the history I gathered from the reports from vin 5520,and
how it crashed,and the end results,and examining the remains of the
nose and black body, from 5520.
If you have ever seen a bare black body,and studied/looked at them
and how the engineering was designed for impact front and rear(and
side)you will see the weak link in the design that is in the nose
section,if it is pitched too low,and the impact is not dead on the
black rub strip area,where it was designed to take the frontal
impact,there is nothing there to absorb the impact.And in fact can
crush downward,losing it ability,to do it's engineered job,of
absorbing the impact!!Since it is cantilevered.(the reason for the
ribbing as explained below) The top half where
the headlights sit is hollow,and useless in a impact,and could force
the hood to move towards the interior/cowl.
If you look under the "skin" you will find a impact absorbing high
density foam bumper followed by a cantilevered section of the black
body where inside that is more HDF
and filled with HDF,and beyond that is some metal
ribbing to help keep the area secure in a impact,for a total of
approx.one foot of HDF absorbing materials and metal ribbing,this and
only this is the only area in the nose section that can take any kind
of hard impact,if this area is pitched to low,it will lose some or
possibly most of it's ability to protect the passengers from harm.
Now if you look at the back of a Delorean THE HDF impact bumper is
Bolted HIGH and directly onto the frame,so that in a rear
collision,the ONLY thing that can crush is the rear frame,something
that the front of the Delorean does NOT have protection from,in a
nutshell,what I am trying to say is that the front of a Delorean has
little protection,except in the black strip zone,the frame is to low
to the ground to afford much protection,(the major thing the frame
does for collision purposes is tie in and make the combination very
rigid)(for front and rear impact )in fact on vin 5520 the front part
of the frame sustained very little damage,yet the nose was totally
wiped into pieces(sheared totally off)and into a bunch of pieces,(the
hood went flying away from the car)and again the cabin section stayed
fully intact and the impact stopped at the windshield,as the roof T
panel was NOT even distorted,and the doors opened just fine.Again if
you reread what I wrote I DID NOT say that was what happened I said I
suspected that might have been what could have happened,DMC decided
for liability purposes to raise the nose,and NOT any goverment
thing.But again, if you study the dynamics of how a Delorean nose
crushes,you will see that it only makes COMMON sense to bring up the
nose to offer better protection,in the same sense as the rear of the
Delorean is protected with the HDF bumper at a higher stance.

Hope that explaines it a little better
CBL

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp@...> wrote:

> Claude,
>
>   I'm almost afraid to ask, but do you have any real proof here??
(note the "Documented Proof" in the subject line)  This is exactly
the kind of speculation we're *not* looking for.