Re: [DML] Replacing door weatherstripping

Re: [DML] Replacing door weatherstripping

Dave,
The first time I replaced weather stripping was on my D too. Here's are the
steps I took:

Start on the passenger side. You won't see this side much so you should be
a pro when it comes time to do the "all important" driver side.

Remove the old weather stripping. The inner ones just pull right off. The
outer ones will take some effort. Be sure to use some 3M General Purpose
Adhesive Remover to get rid of the old adhesive on the D. Next, shave any
fiberglass away in the corners where the old inner strip was torn. This
lowers the strip and prevents it from being crushed and torn. Don't take
too much off, or else it won't seal properly!

Now you are ready to install the new stuff. Get some 3M Super Weather Strip
Adhesive glue (black, not yellow). Follow the directions on the tube when
applying to the inner strips. Don't go crazy with this stuff, or else you
will have to clean it up later. I broke the job up into a few sections at a
time to make it easier to handle.

The outer strips just push into place. Make sure the side with the holes
face the outside. Glue the two ends together where they join near the door
switches.

Finally after the glue dries, clean the strips with a rubber conditioner or
silicone lubricant. This will allow the door to close without the rubber
gripping and tearing.

Hope this helps,
Chris
VIN 4099