Re: [DML] Re: Coolant Bottle Failure Mode

Re: [DML] Re: Coolant Bottle Failure Mode

Now another question has been raised---is the plastic
bottle a 'piece of crap', designed to last only 20+
years, or is the part that is breaking down really the
seam that joins the two halves together??  I've seen
several dozen of these plastic bottles and I have yet
to see the plastic in the bottle 'come apart'.  In the
two leaking cases I have seen, it is always the seam
that separates.  This is where the leaks develop.  In
both those cases, the cars were driven until they
overheated, which if you think about it, caused the
pressure in the bottle to exceed the intended design
limits.  Why didn't the bottle cap relieve this
pressure??----because in both cases, after market cap
was used and the pressure rating was too high.

Now, in this same vein, has anyone ever seen the seam
split on the top of the bottle and start to leak??
The only ones I am aware of were on the bottom, where
the liquid rests, which leads one to assume that maybe
the corrosive effect of the liquid is eating away at
the seam.  Just a thought.  :-)

Mike     1630    TPS

http://mail.yahoo.com