[DML] Re: Checked my TABs.... AARG!!

Rob, David, et al - I actually have a design sorted out that
eliminates all "out-of-plane" bending loads induced by the unusual
travel that David mentioned in his post.  So many projects, so little
time.  You would still get the bending loads caused by the
application of "thrust" through the joint in single shear, but the
other bending loads would be gone.  The design is such that it can be
retrofitted into a stock frame, unlike the Pearce Design concept.
That design is quite elegant, but is compatible only with the new
frame design.  Your points about the hardened washers are very true.
I actually looked at obtaining hardened washers when we first
introduced the TOBY-TAB's, but the cost was very high.  The education
process relating to the cost of the 248 KSI Inconel bolts has been
bad enough.  Trying to explain expensive flat washers was just too
much of a stretch.  Rob - let's compare notes "off-line" and see what
might be possible.  Thank you to Rob and David for all of your
contributions to our little silver cars.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <rob@...> wrote:

> David,
>
> If money was no object and you're willing to live with a harsher
ride via an all metal Heim joint as per race car practice then you
might consider it. It would probably require completely redesigned
trailing arms (ala Pierce Design but stock frame compatible)and be
rather cost prohibitive. I think an incremental approach by double-
nut retention, stronger bolts, washers, and perhaps even bushings
(also expensive) would suffice. The first three items combined with
careful installation and torqueing would eliminate the vast majority
of failures at a much more reasonable cost compared to custom