[DML] Re: Small Coolant Leak

You are probably correct. The aluminum "shrinks" more than the hose
and steel clamp. You can tighten the hose clamps with the engine cold
and that will probably stop a good bit of it. You didn't say how old
the hoses are but as they age the expansion-flex at the clamps
diminishes so, some leaks occur. Silicone hoses help stop this too as
the expansion at the clamp doesn't diminish as much over time. Don't
over tighten as you can damage the hose that way too. There is a
special expanding hose clamp that is very effective as it keeps the
clamp pressure constant at all temperatures much like the expansion
ring clamps you see on many cars.

I use silicone based grease on the hoses or a hi-temp (red) gasket
silicone inside the hoses at the connection before assembly. The red
stuff is messy but it stops the leaks, hot or cold, and stops any
corrosion or leaks caused by the pits from the corrosion that you
often see on connections that have age on them. I would not use
anything but a silicone hose under the intake manifold as the big one
on the water pump ages it will definitely leak and you can't get to it
easily. That hose leak has been responsible for many a premature water
pump replacement because of where the coolant runs down when it begins
to leak - often it appears like the pump is leaking.

Harold McElraft - 3354