[DML] Re: Fuel pump

Fuel pumps die for a couple of reasons: (of course this is assuming
you have 12 volts on it!)
Dirt (this is a BIG one)
Sucking in air from a pick-up hose with a hole in it
Old age
Trying to suck fuel through a kinked pick-up hose or a plugged up
suction filter
So if you want your pump to last make sure the tank is kept clean by
inspecting it once a year, make sure the pick-up hose is in good
condition (not soft or cracked) and be VERY careful not to kink it as
you install the fuel pump, and if you have an origional pump it may be
a good idea to keep a spare. Acetone is the cleaner of choice but DO
NOT use a shop vac. The sparks from the brushes could ignite the
fumes. Just wipe out with shop towels and dispose of properly. Work
with plenty of ventilation and use nitrile gloves.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757