[DML] Fuel pump

Apex,

Changing the fuel pump is not all that tough.  But you need to be sure of all (and I do mean ALL) the other components in the fuel system, as well.  The main reason for fuel pump failure is dirt (and I mean even microscopic particles) in the tank.  This is the most common cause of fuel system difficuties.  Drain the fuel tank (usually requires syphoning out) and wipe a clean rag across the bottom of the inside of the tank.  If it comes away with anything but clean gas on it, your trouble is just begining.  The fuel pump will need replacing, accumulator may need it, fuel filter will need to go, you'll want to disconnect the fuel distributor and flush it when the new components ahead of it are installed, pull the injectors and check that they are clear (if not, replace them or have John Hervey rebuild them), do the same for the warm-up regulator, check the cold start valve and if all is spottlessly clean, put it all back together.  You need to inspect the pump boot and cover for signs of decomposition.  This is often the source for gunk in the tank and is a pretty inexpensive replacement, to be sure they're in good shape.

Oh, fuel pump is under the spare tire.  Pull the 1/3 circle cover out and there it us, under the large rubber cap with two lines coming out of it.  Don't try to do 1/2 the job here.  I naively tried that when I first got my D and it wound up costing me a complete fuel system rebuild/recondition again about 2 months later.  Not worth the cost or aggravation.  Take the time to do it right the first time.  My D now starts within 3 seconds, even when very cold and runs smooth as silk, all the time.

So, to answer your question, no the fuel pump is actually pretty easy to replace.  But don't just replace it without fully investigating the entire fuel system before you try to start up, again.  You'll be glad you did.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Craig Werner
# 07181