Re: [DML] Re: My first tune up: Making progress, not quite there yet

Re: [DML] Re: My first tune up: Making progress, not quite there yet

Mr. Wright:

Do you still have the OEM pipes and muffler?  It doesn't sound like you have the OEM DeLorean pipe and muffler, for it sounds different then the OEM system (unless my
computer speakers aren't reproducing the sound correctly).

The recorded sound of the "gurgling and burbling" are the same that I had encountered TWICE with my DeLorean when I had removed the OEM exhaust system and using a
non-OEM exhaust system.  I was told the possible reasons for these effects are that there are not enough backpressures to the engine.   This effect happens upon
deceleration that is associated with the raising of the RPM and quickly dropping the RPM.   It also occurs while the engine is in high RPM and the clutch is engaged in a
lower gear while decelerating; such as using the engine to slowing down the vehicle as in breaking --  As in down shifting with a manual tranny.

The recorded sounds are similar to my DeLorean when I first had installed a Flowmaster Muffler with custom fabricated pipes some years ago.  Because the Flowmaster
Muffler is a free flow muffler and the pipes that were used are over sized pipes at two inches in diameter, there not enough backpressure.  I did not like the system?s
"gurgling and burbling" to which I IMMEDIATELY removed and replaced it with my OEM system.  Once the OEM system was replaced, the symptoms and sounds went away.

Several years ago, I again, I had replaced the OEM system with the Stainless Steel Exhaust that was offered from England.  Upon installation, the symptoms and the sound
came right back, for the Stainless Steel System?s muffler has very little resistance in the airflow and the pipes are also two inches in diameter.   I was told that modifying
the fuel and the ignition systems will help if not relieve the symptoms and all.   I haven't got anyone with the know how or the time to do so, although the several of the
owners in England has done so with success.

Mr. David Teitelbaum did graciously helped me in researching and installed a "dashpot," to which it did retarded and lowered the symptoms and the sound, for it is still
there but not as harsh.

As per suggestion, I was also able to reduce the symptoms and the sound by using 1 3/4" reducer exhaust pipe bushings to make each of the tail pipe outlets smaller (as
the OEM) to create backpressure.  This did helped in minimizing the gurgling and burbling effect, but it also impeded some of the pep and extra horsepower that the
system was designed to do.  So, I removed the bushings and I have been running the system as is -- With all the noise and all -- Gurgling and burbling???

Kayo Ong
Lic 9D NY