[DML] I Drive the Dream (was: Drive the dream?)

[DML] I Drive the Dream (was: Drive the dream?)

Jeremy,

Sounds like you're making a good choice in waiting.

I, too, want you to know that DeLoreans are not all problems and
horror stories. I was lucky... I had the money to buy the "$20K
version" right out of the gate. I'm not a mechanic, have all the wrong
tools, etc.  I wanted a car I could drive.  Everyone said I was nuts.

I bought a 10,500 mile car.  It had been driven regularly enough that
the previous owner had been forced to do a fair amount of the
refurbishing already. (Hoses, brakes, suspension, tires, etc.) It
appraised easily for more than I paid for insurance purposes.

It's been eight months and 8,000 miles since then. I drive it 30 miles
round-trip to work almost every day.  I have not been stranded
anyplace while driving the car and have easily managed a Vegas-Phoenix
roundtrip.  I get 22-25 mpg and consider it to be as reliable a daily
driver as my other newer vehicles. So far, it's proven cheaper to
repair.

The only absolutely required new items for the car have been a new
fuel pump (failed in my garage) and a brake master cylinder (old one
had a slight leak). My biggest challenge was that the fuel pump didn't
like the mid-Summer Nevada heat, but that's been solved.

It's true, I've added a bunch of other parts to the car on a purely
voluntary basis because "working on the car" has become nearly as much
fun as driving it. I'm also trying to keep it as reliable with some
preventative maintenance.  Spread out over the eight months, I've
invested less than $100/month.  Cheap insurance, I think.

Total labor hours required at a shop so far? 2.  I owe a lot of this
to the support of the DML and my fellow Arizona DeLorean Club members.
The others' advice to join a club, if you can, is echoed here.  You
may find your future car in the hands of a fellow club member.

I recently sent my D's previous owner an email, telling him how much I
enjoy the car and that it had turned out exactly as he'd described
it: "A Reliable DeLorean."  In these days of false hopes and promises,
my experiences with the DeLorean have been very positive.  I hope
yours end up being the same.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D

P.S. Someone else on the list suggested a loan.  Somewhere along the
way, when your finances make sense, you might consider that. Look what
you get for $20K at a new car dealership these days. It's not much of
a contest. :)