[DML] Re: Drive the dream?

I purchased my DeLorean when I was 24 myself, and I can honestly
agree with our fellow members and owners. You're talking about a car
that's almost as old as you or I, and it does take a LOT of work and
money to restore them to driveable states sometimes, let
alone "factory standard." I paid $9,500 for mine, and have probably
put at least $4K more into her in a year and a half just to get the
D running properly. Here's a small example of what I've had to do so
far:
-Headlights/Taillights with boards
-Spark plugs and wires, pounded out of block, overtightened
-New clutch, throwout bearing, shift linkage bolt etc.
-gullwing rubber weather stripping
-fuel pump replaced
-fuel accumulator replaced
-major wiring harness repairs
-torn gas lines fixed (I felt like Marty McFly here. Don't laugh :) )
-numerous other things...etc etc.
You probably get the idea. It is quite literally a dream one must
work and strive for, regarding any classic car. But given the
DeLorean's rarity and exotic look, there's just something special;
almost "magical" about that darn things, you know? I can't say I
regret buying my own. She's the only car in my whole life I have
honestly worked hard to get and can really call mine. It's a great
feeling, but yeah, do your best at school and work first, THEN have
fun. It's the responsible thing to do, man. And when you do have to
shell out a load of cash to fix your dream car up, don't hate it.
The best part is when you can look at the thing in the sun, start
her up, and hear and know she drives...well...almost perfectly. My
stupid passenger window isn't airtight. Doggone internal
condensation on the glass! I guess I can't complain hehe ^_^ Good
luck to you.
-John M. Rydholm
VIN#10715 1982 DMC-12
5-speed Manual, grey interior
numerous aftermarket parts purchased from DMC, P.J. Grady, and John
Hervey, cheers to all of you. I am now poor. :P (Just kidding.)