[DML] Re: Drive the dream?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "biojerm" <Jedamay@xxxx> wrote:

> Hello all, im new to this group.
> Im 25 and have always wanted to own a delorean, but never figured i
> would get one until i was in my 40's.
>
> As it would turn out, i just ran across someone who is selling a 82
> delorean 20k miles on it ... > wants $7k for it, Engine starts
choking when givin over 1/2 throttle,

> Anyone have any suggestions? Paying too much? Im not really looking
> into restoring it to original parts. But am i going to have to use all
> my money and live in my car trying to replace the engine and tranny?

Hello.

If you like working on cars, and are patient, it sounds like a good
deal.  Most of what you're describing seems fixable.  If the interior
is in good shape, I'd consider that a big plus.  Cosmetic parts for the
Delorean are rather expensive, compared to the mechanical parts.  I
bought a "fix-r-upper" myself.  Check the frame carefully for rust.

If you DON'T like working on cars, or would have to pay others to fix
the things wrong with the car, well, 25 year old cars aren't the least
maintenance free things out there.

I'd recommend you do not swap the engine, unless you're doing it for
the sheer pleasure of it.  I swapped my car's engine, and it was well
worth doing because I like that sort of stuff.  If I were just aiming
for "owning and driving a Delorean", I'd fix the PRV in it, which is a
very good engine.

In your shoes, I'd buy it without hesitation.  If you change your mind
about it, you will probably be able to easily get back your purchase
price.  It's a low risk purchase at that price.

Rick.