[DML] Re: Drive the dream?

Hello and welcome to the group!
Scroll down a bit...
--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "biojerm" <Jedamay@xxxx> wrote:

> Hello all, im new to this group.
> Im 25 and have always wanted to own a delorean, but never figured i
> would get one until i was in my 40's.

dash is custom made it
> looks. only 2 small dings in body you can only see at the right angle.
> A handfull of misc. problems <driver window slipping, buttons falling
> off, missing keys, etc.>

  Fairly normal problems, all of them can be repaired or replaced.
You will find more problems...

> wants $7k for it, Engine starts choking when givin over 1/2 throttle,
> may be bad injector or fuel mixture, but runs great in idle and at low

  Does sound like a fuel delivery problem, possibly a blocked filter.
 It *could* end up needing the complete fuel system, fuel distributor,
pump, etc.  Budget for that and you'll be ok.

> Tranny gears work <automatic> but you have to manual switch to first,
> then manual switch to drive at the right speed, 2nd and 3rd work fine.

  I don't know that much about the automatics, someone else can surely
help.  Could be a control module, or it could be an internal problem
in the transmission.

> I want to save up and get a v8 put in it eventually for a more
> reliable car. but im having a hard time find out what kind of tranny
> these things have and how much they are to replace if this one needs
> to be replaced. Any and everyone I call has no idea what it has except
> for "delorean" transmission.

  My personal opinion is that the v6 is a reliable engine, plus you
keep the value of the car that way.  They do have their special needs,
like any engine, but properly maintained they will run for a long time.
  From what I understand the transmission was used in other cars, but
they were front-engine, front-wheel drive cars, if you use their
transmissions you get five speeds backwards, and one really slow one
forward.  There are probably other cars that used them, but someone
else will have to help here.

> This will be my first/only delorean and I only make about $30k a year,
> but im willing to do whatever it takes to drive my dream car.
> Anyone have any suggestions? Paying too much? Im not really looking
> into restoring it to original parts. But am i going to have to use all
> my money and live in my car trying to replace the engine and tranny?

  Is this going to be your daily driver?  If not you can budget for
expenses and repair the car as time and money permit.  I would
recommend keeping another car as backup, that way if something does go
wrong with the D you don't have to go into debt to fix it immediately.
7k does seem like a good price, without seeing the car though, it's
just a guess.
  Remember, you are entering a high-maintenance relationship here,
this is a car that needs flowers regularly, likes poems, long walks in
the park, and watching the sun set.  The returns, if you are willing
to accept these costs, far outweigh them.  You will have a car that is
unique, truly a piece of history, and is recognized for good or bad
everywhere.
I will not sell mine.

Matt Smith